Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Help

If I haven't mentioned it before I think I should mention it now: puppies are very helpful. They will help you do everything. The best part is they don't even need to be asked, they will just pitch right in with no invitation and take on the bulk of the task themselves. It doesn't matter to them that they have no thumbs, can't talk, don't see very well and are uncoordinated.

(Lime/Peggy)

They want to help and that is all that counts. They have a certain way of asking "What are you doing now? What are you doing now? What are you doing now?" ad nauseum and they never seem to get tired of it. Trust me on this: They. Never. Get. Tired. Of. It.

(Red/Tezlin)

Just the other minute I was clearing the dirty papers out of the puppy pen and I had about 3 or 4 helpers. Let me tell you, the task went a LOT faster with so many paws at the ready. Rolling that paper up, folding it and making sure nothing leaked out was 10 times easier with one puppy hanging off my sleeve, another attached to my sock, and another 2 grabbing at that silly paper while it rustled and crinkled. I wish I had this kind of volunteer work with everything I do.

(Purple/Kenzi)

They also like to help me mop which involves chasing the mop head, getting underfoot, running through what I'm trying to mop and skidding on the now wet floor I just mopped. In fact it doesn't really matter what I'm doing, however mundane and boring, they are there to help.

(Orange/Rue)

You'd think shutting the door to prevent the 'many hands makes light work' scenario but it just creates a whole other problem like: What are they doing while on the other side of a door and unsupervised? The telltale gallop of tiny feet, the drawn out moments of silence while they get into something naughty and then the consequences of their actions; be it a cat getting it's tail pulled, a curtain being yanked from the rod, a broom being dragged through the house, the toilet paper roll unravelling at light speed, an antique chair having its trim ripped off, shoes getting their soles removed, chairs sporting a new 'antiqued' finish a la puppy teeth, etc. All these things make it much simpler to just let them help. The few extra minutes it takes to do something is worth saving your possessions.

(Mini/Kota)

I have to give them credit though, they don't give up easily. It doesn't matter how many times I insist I can do something without their assistance or supervision, they just as strongly insist things would go a lot faster if they were throwing in an oar. And don't think this changes with time or experience. I can complete almost no task without having one dog or another come to investigate and see if there's anything they can do. Shutting the door on the adult dogs doesn't work either so don't think you get off that easy.

(Yellow/Vesper)

It's just a part of having a puppy, and dogs in general I suppose, and having help doing everything for the rest of their lives is something everyone has to get used to. I have to say though, accepting a helping paw is easier when your assistant looks something like these guys and your reward for letting them feel important is as many puppy kisses as you want.

Front: Lime, Pink, Purple
Middle: Blue, Mini, Light Wheaton, Orange
Back: Yellow, Red

No comments: