Monday, August 8, 2011

Flight Plan

Today was the day I needed to get to the airport to get Jax and Luke to Newfoundland on Westjet. I love Westjet for shipping puppies. Anyway, their flight was to leave at 11am and I needed to have them there by 9am - still no idea why they have to be there so early but that's the rule. I set my alarm for 5:45am because I live about 1.5 hours from the airport and just in case I had trouble locating the Westjet cargo terminal I wanted to get there early. Imagine my horror when I woke up at 6:30am with no alarm - I had inadvertently turned the volume down when I was dusting the other day. It went off ... but I couldn't hear it.

I bolted up, tossed the dogs outside, fed them, threw them into the livingroom, let the puppies out, had a lightening fast shower, raced around cleaning up after puppies, glanced into the livingroom and it was like time stopped. The whole room was *covered* in plastic recycles and containers. Yogurt, food tins, tin foil, plastic bags ... everywhere. I had, in my hurry, forgotten that I'd put the bags by the front door to take out since garbage pick up is due. I stormed into the room, freaked out with lots of swearing, and knew I didn't have time to clean it up. It would have to wait.

I tossed five puppies back in their pen, double checked I had the right two boys(I even looked under them and went back to the pen to make sure I had it right) and gently threw them into their crate in the truck. Fortunately it was pouring rain so that didn't slow me down at all. I'm kidding - it was an awful drive.

I arrived at the airport and had no idea where to go. GPS doesn't think addresses can exist without towns associated with them so after 20 minutes of driving up and down and asking two different people I finally tracked down the Westjet cargo terminal tucked into a corner of the Fed Ex building. I told the very efficient young man there that they couldn't really make it harder to find. I'm sure he's heard that a lot.

I said my final goodbyes to Luke and Jax - Luke was asleep and Jax was looking stricken - and headed to Halifax for some errands. I knew by the time I got home they'd be at their homes and I was right. All the recycables were still in the livingroom too. The good news is they are both now offiically Newfoundlanders and safely in their new homes. I have a couple photos of Jax but I'm sure photos of Luke are on their way!

It was a big day for a tired boy!

Exploring his little portion of The Rock ... there's lots more where that came from! Best to Jax, Natasha and Claire ... I can see already he is in very good hands.

No comments: