Thursday, August 19, 2010

Wag the Dog

There's a saying in dog sledding that goes "Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes". The same is true for dog walking. I am forever taking photos of tails and bottoms. In the long grass in particular you only ever get a photo of a waving tail and possibly a back or bottom. This is Leeloo smashing her way through some undergrowth during a mission to catch a pheasant.

 

Across a field in the morning sun she can be spotted by her tell tale, um, tail.  Rarely does the head pop up to see where I am and if she does remember I exist she simply takes note that I haven't abandoned her and continues her hunt.


Raimi is slightly easier to spot given his size and although he spends some time with his head in the grass he is more often found testing the wind or looking for me.


When it comes to Esme it's a harder photo to catch not only because she spends most of her time zinging from place to place but also because she is less than half the height of the surrounding foliage.  In rare cases I am able to catch her motionless in shorter grass or on a cleared path but I have to be quick because in a flash she is off again looking for more trouble. I guess I shouldn't complain though, there are worse views in the world than the happy wagging tail of a dog.

No comments: