Monday, August 16, 2010

The Other Brother

The house seems eerily quiet without Archer. Our morning walk felt a little subdued without his goofy bounce to get Leeloo playing, or him bursting out of the bushes and nearly taking my legs out, or listening to Esme tear out his throat. I'm not sure if the dogs have particularly noted his absence, I know they know he's not here but they are not looking for him. Raimi is probably glad the annoying kid is gone, Leeloo is coming into heat and feeling sorry for herself and Esme is finding other new and interesting ways to amuse herself. When they meet again they will know him, but won't think of him until that time - that's just how dogs roll. I will have to video the reunion, I bet it's a gas!

Apparently last evening Archer spent some time howling for me to come back. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind and the best thing for him is severe ties - despite my heart wrenching impulse to drive back down and comfort him. I won't see him for at least 6 or 8 weeks and hopefully by then, and probably much sooner than we think, he will have bonded to his new family. He is, after all, Halo's son! He slept on his New Mommy's bed last night with his new BFF Tyson and with each new day I will fade a little more and his new family will take my place. Sometimes the hardest decisions are the best ones.

No comments: