Friday, January 22, 2010

Small Gifts

This is a blog about Ridgebacks. Initially it was started when I had Halo, Raimi and Petal the Puli(plus one Ceilidh cat). When Petal died in April of 2008 my heart was broken. I knew I wanted a Puli again, just ... the time had to be right and the right lines had to be behind the puppy I got. Well, the time is now and the line is right. See, I wanted a Puli from the same line as two other very memorable and significant Pulis in my life(besides Petal). Cassie was a special dog, I did junior handling with her, put a US and Canadian CD on her and she was the dog matriarch of the house for most of my teens and into my 20's. Cassie sticks out in my mind as a significant part of my childhood and although she died too young in a tragic accident she will always stand out as a particularly special dog. She had a daughter, Fay, who was, in her own way, like Cassie. She was the Boss Bitch, she epitomized being in charge. Her feathers were never ruffled, she took everything in stride, and she was brilliantly smart - a once in a lifetime dog. Fay died several years ago now(still sadly missed) and her grand-daughter is the mother of the litter my mom has now. I went to visit them today at 4 weeks old and they are just darling. On Christmas Eve 4 little girls were born and one will be a big surprise to the Ridgebacks in about 4 weeks. Raimi was the only dog I have now who will remember Petal - he just adored her as I did it's probably the very reason I love him so much. Initially Archer will be terrified of the puppy and Leeloo will think it's the greatest toy since the roll-a-treat ball. They still have another 4 weeks of relative peace and quiet to go before the puppy comes home.
My parents are on their 'E' litter so her registered name will be Immerzu Everything Illuminated - so named because her dam's registered name is Under Moonlight and of course under moonlight everything is illuminated.
The puppy will be called Esme(ez-may) which is Old French for 'esteemed' or 'loved one'. I didn't initially realize it but that is the perfect name since it is like a continuation of Petal's well known alias: Precious. I'm sure Petal won't mind a successor ... but Esme sure has some big paw prints to fill. (Below is a photo of Petal and I in 1996 - I was 19 and Petal was 8 months old).

No comments: