Friday, January 8, 2010

The Brave One

I have a secret. I didn't want to tell anyone because it's just too ... embarrassing. I own a 100 pound coward so I've kept it hush hush until now. Wait ... everyone knows? Oh, well then, I guess it won't do any harm to post some pretty humiliating photos of The Boy in action.
On our walk the other day we used the service road for most of the way because hauling my ass through foot deep snow is no fun despite the health benefits I'm sure it provides. I wear heavy snow boots and frankly it sucks to drag them through wet snow. The point of that little tirade is that the road gets cleared and piles of it are pushed off to the side. Raimi, having never encountered this particular snow pile, thought it was deeply suspicious so he approached it with extreme caution. There's Leeloo ahead of him already head deep in some interesting smell at the base of the pile. Without warning the snow pile ... remained motionless. Raimi sprang into action and shot off to the right. He stood for a moment and looked at me to make sure I was also being careful. His expression said 'Phew, that was close.'
Just so it's clear ... he is now approaching the pile from behind Leeloo. Nothing like throwing a girl in front of you for protection. Chivalry took its last gasp a moment ago.
The googly eyes say it all. He got close enough to sniff it and while still noticeably tense, he allowed the snow pile to get used to his presence. Good boy moves slowly so as not to startle this flighty mound of snow.
While they will never be great friends, Raimi and the snow pile have come to an uneasy truce. Obviously Leeloo and Archer are extremely concerned also. The strange thing is that when Raimi perceives an actual (but not really) threat he leaps into action with much intimidation and bravery. I guess it's the small things that most often defeat us.

No comments: