Friday, January 1, 2010

Across the Universe

Yesterday saw the end of the most exciting and best year of my life. So much happened it's hard to know where to begin. I rang in last year in Calgary and knew at that time all the changes I had been planning for the previous 3 years would come to fruition in the months to come. It was a pretty exciting time let me tell you. The year 2009 could not have gone better. I am so grateful and thankful for the friends and family who supported me through all the adventures and exciting developments I experienced. The first major event was Archer's litter being born. What an event that was! My third litter and first c-section. As c-sections go I think it was one of the less traumatic versions. Thanks again to Adine for all her help with the whelping and I hope you learned something other than the signs to get to the vet(although that is important too!).
As Archer's litter grew I dragged my butt everyday to a job that didn't need me and I was simply biding my time until I could give notice to quit. As it turned out, 4 weeks before I intended to quit ... they laid me off! I couldn't have planned it better. And so, for the next month I prepared to leave Calgary for good and forever. The litter grew, the boxes filled and things were shaping toward toward a trip across Canada that worried everyone but me. The truck was loaded with 4 dogs and three cats, all my worldly possessions were jammed in the trailer and away we went. I was hustled out of Calgary by wind and rain but as soon as I was out Alberta I met beautiful sunny skies all the way to Nova Scotia. The trip couldn't have gone more smoothly and I'm still not sure what everyone was so worried about. My new little house was all I remembered and more ... in fact, because my parents had bought appliances for it prior to my arrival. I am very appreciative of the work my mom and dad did to the house before I got here - it made the transition so much easier! The first thing that we did was build a fence and after that I started on the interior renovations - all of which, so far, can be found on the Wee Bonny New Scotland Blog. (My next reno is the laundry floor in January - stay tuned)We attended a few Maritime shows, started Leeloo's point count, won a Best Puppy in Show and introduced Archer to the joys of ring time. Raimi had a weekend of shows but finances and lack of handlers kept him out the ring for the balance of the year. I'm pretty sure he enjoys just being a dog! This summer was simply the best I have ever had. I have come to believe I have never actually experienced a summer given what Calgary has had on offer for the three decades of my life. The beach was spectacular and this year, now I know the best spots to go with the dogs, I will be there everyday! Can't wait! Autumn brought gorgeous fall colors and a gradual easement into winter instead of the Calgary plummet. Almost everyday saw us out enjoying the fantastic weather - rain or shine the forests and fields were a cornucopia of adventure. Autumn also saw a new home for Halo. Halo who gave so much deserved much more than I could offer and is now enjoying a beautiful new home in Quebec with Pia. I can't thank Pia enough for her impeccable timing and unreservedly giving Halo everything she needs and much more. For the coming year my hopes and dreams are smaller than in the past but no less significant to my greater plan. The next year will hopefully see new champions in Archer, Leeloo and Rifka and an American Championship for Rosie in California. I know they can do it! We also hope to attend the Canadian National in Ontario this year and swing by to visit Halo at the same time. Raimi and Leeloo will have their health testing completed in preparation for their possible 2011 litter. A new puppy (or two)may be entering my house again through contractual agreements (and they may not only be Ridgebacks!). I hope to complete my renovations and the house finished so I can sit back and enjoy it! I want to look for another part time job and work on a few home projects to keep the dogs fed and a roof over their heads. Modest wishes for the year ahead ... So Happy New Year to everyone the world over - make it the best year yet! Get out there and make your own luck!

No comments: