Saturday, January 30, 2010

In the Cut

Removal of dewclaws can be a controversial subject but one I make a stand on. I will remove my own puppy's dewclaws until the day the law says I can't (and even then just try to stop me). There was one litter I did not remove dewclaws from and I regret it. I have had at least three owners tell me of incidents with their dog's dewclaws that required vet care and frankly ... I just don't like to hear that something I could have prevented has resulted in a dog's pain and vet bills for their owner.

Poor Karma. Her mom Adine was injured (it will be a funny anecdote once she's a few months/years removed from the incident) and was unable to take the dogs for a walk for a few days. It was also pretty cold so it was a good excuse to stay in. Eventually though, Adine decided to take the dogs out for a run. After some roaring good fun in the snow she noticed blood as Karma ran past.

The hard crusty top layer of snow had cut Karma's dewclaws and caused some serious bleeding and the pad of the dewclaw had been sliced open. Off to the vet where it turns out both pads were cut but only one was obviously bleeding. I'm unclear if the dewclaws themselves were removed or just the skin but either way ... suck for Karma. I'm sorry Karma, I wish I'd just gone ahead and taken those suckers off at 2 days ..

1 comment:

Karin said...

We had Bella's dew claws removed when we had her spayed. She was going under anyway and with the beach and forest walks we do we didn't want to risk her getting caught on something. She had those same bandages on her legs (blue ones) and more than once we were asked if she had leg warmers on...yes, of course, leg warmers and we also styled the hair on her back into a mohawk :)