Thursday, December 17, 2009

Snow Falling on Cedars

What a difference a day makes. Want to guess why ...? The snow started at about 8am and by the time we got moving it was pretty much a full blown blizzard. I am lucky that where I walk the dogs is literally about 500 meters from my house ... if that even. They didn't really need their coats for warmth since it was not that cold but the snow here is heavy and I didn't want them to get too wet otherwise they'd get cold really fast. Archer started us off down the service road into the forest where he made an about turn and promptly discovered tracks on the ground. His tracks. Remember Winnie-the-Pooh and Piglet following their footsteps encircling a copse of trees?
Raimi takes point and watches for marauding deer. Fortunately we were the only crazies out in a blizzard today.
Archer was having the time of his life and seems to have taken to snow like a trooper. That coat was generously lent to us by Sara(Po and Kiki's owner), he was too small for it the last time he tried it on; now it fits perfectly but I think he'll outgrow it before the end of winter!
I guess the walk today made me realize what I'd be missing if I didn't have the dogs. I'd never have gone out in a blizzard, never witnessed the stark contrast of snow against wet bark, never heard the wind rush past overhead like a freight train(scaring me of course!), never seen the 60 foot trees swaying and bowing overhead, and never be part of the company of three dogs whose simple enjoyment of these moments together make the cold fingers, chilled cheeks and runny nose worth every second.

No comments: