Thursday, December 24, 2009

A Christmas Story

It's Christmas Eve as we all know and while people are rushing about picking up last minute gifts and supplies for tomorrow's festivities I am doing chores, listening to dogs yowl and play on my bed(which I *just* made BTW) and drinking a cuppa joe. In a short time we will be leaving for Malagash to spend Christmas at my parent's house. Our first Christmas in Nova Scotia. It may or may not be a white Christmas, depends on the next 12 hours I guess but the forecast is for some flurries and rain. Either way Christmas this year will not be spent whelping a litter. For me that is. See, my mom has a litter due about ... yesterday ... so like I was 2 years ago, she is patiently waiting for Leah to decide when to have her babies. Maybe she will be so lucky to also have a Christmas dozen ... okay, maybe not, Pulis rarely have litters that large!

My Christmas Eve litter, wow, is now two years old. I find it hard to believe that they are already two. It was quite the experience to have puppies delivered on the day before Christmas, you'd think the Stork would have better things to do. This was Halo's second litter and was due on Boxing Day but since there was an even dozen in there crowding each other I guess they decided enough was enough.

She started whelping at 8am and when she got to nine at about 2pm and took a brief break I was sure she was done. I popped her into the tub to wash off the green goo and settled her back in. And then she proceeded to have three more. I was practically pleading with her to stop. Enough already. No more.

But here we are two years later and they have all grown into beautiful dogs who are a credit to the breed, to their parents and most importantly to their owners, who for the last 22 months have done such a great job raising them(Halo and I handled the first 8 weeks).

So to my darling Christmas Eve litter; Zero, Rifka, Karma, Shane, Mungo, Lulu, Mya, Bella, Rory, Ramsay, Kona and Isis ... happy birthday and a Very Merry Christmas to all!

4 comments:

Steven and Kimberly said...

Yes, I remember your post on your Christmas Eve litter. We followed Halo's progress and excitedly watched as pictures of the puppies surfaced on your blog. They were all such a miracle and so darling. Have a fun time with the holidays.

Kathryn said...

Yah!!! Happy Birthday to Rory! Thanks for such a wonderful dog Tamzin.

Karin said...

I too remember watching your posts 2 years ago and I was so excited and secretly hopeful that one of those little pups would be ours. Today I can hardly believe it's been 2 years and Bella is the light of our life - I am so thankful to you and brought to tears by your post Tamzin! :) Happy Holidays from BC and Bella

Traci said...

Happy Birthday Ramsay!! We are also extremely thankful for such a beautiful dog. Can't imagine what life was without him!