Thursday, December 17, 2009

Ice Age

Today was the coldest day we've had in Nova Scotia. It seems winter has officially arrived. I'm not sure how long it plans to stick around though because next week are more forecasts of above zero and rain so who knows what the future holds. Despite the sub-zero temperatures we ventured out anyway because if we don't I get scolded almost non-stop by Leeloo, Raimi stares at me and whines and Archer finds amusing ways to entertain himself. No coats required today as it was not snowing and I certainly did not plan to be out long! Because it was 12 below zero today was the day that Leeloo and Raimi decided to take off into the wilderness and force me to imagine myself stomping through forest and field with visions of finding them frozen to death at the base of some tree. I'm not sure what they thought they were doing but they did not seem to be able to hone in on my location even though I stayed in one spot to call them. For the rest of the walk I insisted they stay close and on the path where I could see them. Archer being the insecure puppy he is stayed close at all times anyway. Leeloo believes she found a stronghold of chipmunks in a fallen log. Given the amount of noise she made I'm sure they've already packed up and moved. Archer felt this stick needed a good trimming and set about chewing his way through it. I'm not sure how good it is for his teeth or intestines but it makes him happy and that makes me happy. That's Leeloo: two parts elegant, two parts awkward and one part just plain weird.
The Boy did what he does best, stand around wishing like heck he could go galloping through the woods to finally discover the source of that most intriguing smell. Leeloo has finally embraced the 'pose' which has been a long time coming. If I can catch her in these moments of stillness she turns out a nice photo but you have to be quick with the shutter. Archer loves his Leeloo and Leeloo loves her Archer ... it's win win for everyone.
Something about this photo is very calming. Raimi and Leeloo share a quiet moment together listening to a voice that calls only them. (Fortunately I yell loud enough to drown it out ...most times.)

No comments: