Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Sixth Sense

Ever have one of those days where nothing feels right? Where it seems as though there is an intangible threat in the air. A tension that you can't put your finger on. There is that saying 'I just shouldn't have gotten out of bed today' and while I don't have that feeling altogether I do have a strange sense of foreboding. Could it be the changeable weather we are experiencing today? Sun, then cloud, brief rain, gusting wind dying to a stillness, high cloud, low cloud, ominous cloud, weird sprinkles of sleet that are gone before you can pull in your dog laundry. That is the kind of day its been and I don't like it one bit.

It's not just me, the dogs are affected too. On our walk today they were all over the map, rushing into the woods as though called by some unseen force, not responding to recalls, stopping alert at the slightest sound, braced to make a mad dash into the unknown. It made me tense as all hell I tell you. I probably sounded like a hysterical mom at times but the weight of the day had me in its grip and I wasn't about to lose a dog to it. Halo leaves in a bare 48 hours and the thought of her disappearing had me on edge. I cut our walk short since the woods were creaking and speaking and throwing themselves about which likely accounts for the dog's amber alert status. It was enough to force my hand and short cut back to the truck.

Home safe now with all the dogs but the feeling has continued. They slumber soundly on the couch but I still don't trust this day. Something is afoot and while it is I'll stick close to home and keep my charges closer.

2 comments:

The Calgary McLeans said...

This my friend is called "the feeling of impeding DOOM!".

The Calgary McLeans said...

This my friend is called "the feeling of impeding DOOM!".