Thursday, November 5, 2009

Bird on a wire

Sometimes you get stuck in a 'same old' routine but on the days you venture beyond your comfort zone you just might find something you never suspected. Today we turned left instead of right.

We started our walk just like always heading along the boardwalk to the beach. Halo paused to wait for me. I love how the clouds in the background look painted on, you can't buy that kind of scenery unless you're on the set of The Wizard of Oz. Not to be outdone, Leeloo also paused for dramatic effect. It's unfortunate she can't pull off regal the same way Halo can. And neither dog can hold a candle to what we encountered further down the beach. The sand became seaweed and then became rocky shoreline. As we got closer to where the coast curves around a cliff my eye was caught by a crow hassling a Very Large Bird perched at the top of a haggard looking tree. I have seen several Bald Eagles around here but none this close. It stared very hard at me and the dogs as we passed beneath it.
It must have decided we were too much to tolerate and took off down the coast closely followed by a crow which hassled it in mid-air for some way. Can't blame the crow really, Bald Eagles eat pretty much anything the same size or smaller than they are.
For the record the dogs were not impressed by the eagle. However, it was the first eagle I've seen this close up and I can't believe how big they are. If I had a small dog I would have been tempted to pick it up or at least put it on lead!

No comments: