Monday, November 9, 2009

Gone Baby Gone

I knew there were whales around this province what with it being surrounded by water. Apparently there are also lots of seals but they aren't nearly so interesting as a whale. I hadn't seen proof of whales until this past walk down at Martinique Beach and a very large part of me wishes I still haven't.


That is a whale. On our approach we thought it was a rock because it was round and grey. Not so. The person next to the whale is Al who was standing guard keeping the dogs away from it.

The dogs, of course, were fascinated and wanted a closer look. Considering the smell we were pretty insistent that they look with their eyes. A couple people thought it might have been a pilot whale. Sadly, on closer inspection, I think not. It was definitely a baleen whale of which pilots are not a member. I believe it is a baby blue whale given the shape of its fins and size. It had a very large rope coming out of it's mouth so I suspect it drowned or starved. You know how babies can be - curious about everything. It was a sad sight.
Good boy Raimi would not go near it. It freaked him out. Leeloo, Halo and Archer were a little harder to divert. Archer just *had* to touch it. Little boys are so disgusting.



The blubber on a whale, I am told, is incredibly difficult to remove from a dog because it's like a heavy grease. I had exactly zero interest making a 2 hour drive home with dogs that smelt like dead rotting whale so we hustled everyone along at a smart pace. I hope one day to actually see a live whale, perhaps then wiping clear my memory of this depressing experience.

No comments: