Sunday, November 15, 2009

A Beautiful Mind

I have a problem. I can't stop taking photos of the dogs. I have so many photos that when I'm looking for one in particular I make myself crazy trying to find it. Recently I lost an entire folder somewhere - presumably it's filed under something innocuous just waiting for me to stumble across when I don't actually need it. It doesn't help that I have duplicate photos because I move them into different folders depending on what I need them for. I should go through and edit but how does one slash and burn when so many are so good? Well now, just listen to me, I sound like the primadonna of dog photographers.

For some reason I feel the need to record the every day lives of my dogs, boring as they may be. I think it's partly because, after losing Petal, I realized I didn't really have a lot of photos of her and I don't want the same thing to happen to any other dog. A crazy part of me feels that everytime I delete a photo a little part of the dog is erased too. I always feel a little twinge of sadness and doubt when that 'Are you sure?' window pops up and the mouse hovers over the 'Yes' button. I've even changed my mind in the past and dug through the Recycle file to retrieve photos I've deleted. It's a sickness ... I know it.

So one day maybe I'll go through the dozens of folders and weed out the not so good, the blurry, the less thans. In some way each photo speaks to me about the subject and when its voice is as insistent as this ... it's hard to ignore.

No comments: