Friday, October 2, 2009

The Sting

Of the 4 dogs I have right now 3 of them have been stung by something. Halo was stung by a bee when she was about 7 months old and I had to pull the stinger out of her head - she still has the scar actually. Her head swelled up in no time and she looked like a partially inflated balloon.

When Raimi was about 4 months old he was stung by something unidentified but it caused him to break out in hives all over which made him look kind of like a red wheaton 3D Dalmation. I gave him some Benilyn took him to work with me until the vet opened but by that time the swelling was going down and I didn't vet him.


Today Leeloo, after lounging in the sun on the back deck, came in with an unusually large nose. She likes to try and catch flies and whatnot and sometimes those flies happen to be wasps. See how the right side(our right her left) of her nose is all swollen and puffy and red?
It is affecting the other side a little bit but has actually gone down from when I first saw it. It's not affecting her breathing at all which is the first thing I checked, but she does seem a little confused about how weird her face probably feels! Thank doG this happened now instead of just before her show next weekend!
Poor Leeloo - likes she needs another reason for me to giggle at her ...

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Poor Rory was stung/bit last week by a wasp. He bats his paws at flies and other bugs, and unfortunately decided a wasp (we had a nest under the back deck....since annihilated) was fair game. Wasp got him right in between the pads of his paw. I remembered the unusual dog benadryl dosing) pretty much enough to knock a human out for three days) from some hives he developed last year, but he didn't need it. Whew!