Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Parenthood

I've noticed of late that my Boy has grown up a bit. You know how parents talk about their little kids gradually turning actual people? I think that is happening with Boy except instead of dying his hair and experimenting with drugs he's disappearing into the bush and taking his sweet time about coming back.

What happened to my simple adoring Boy? The one who never strayed more than a few feet away? The one who was scared of going into the bushes? The darling lumphead who was afraid of blowing paper? Who stuck close and listened carefully with an "Anything you say Mommy" look on his face?

Gone.

The Boy has become worse than his mother about diving into the undergrowth on a mission to seek and destroy. His alert is obvious with the full body tension, head low, nose flaring, ears pricked and wrinkles wrinkling - this occurs moments before he bolts into the trees. I have exactly no interest in smashing my way through wilderness searching for an idiot dog who's ear canal becomes so clogged with thoughts of wild vermin that he can't hear me demanding his return. My main concern, besides him getting lost, is him finding a porcupine or a skunk. My worst nightmare is all four dogs hitting either of those two critters at once. I just don't know what I'd do ... chances are one day we'll all find out given the amount of forest Nova Scotia boasts.

Today I had to put The Boy's lead on while we walked back to the truck because he thought he could put one over on me since he's so smart(ha!). I'll admit when I saw him make a break for the trees one too many times my inner banshee came out and the walking stick I recently bought was brandished high ... to no avail. So on went the lead.

Just like any teenager he sulked and kept giving me dirty looks all the way back to the truck. Tough love baby ... tough love.

No comments: