Saturday, October 10, 2009

Black Rain

Sometimes I ask myself why on earth I go to dog shows. Up this morning to pouring rain, load the truck in a heavy mist, drive 45 minutes on a highway in a downpour, and arrive at the show to unload in the rain. Then what? Have Archer place last of three and Leeloo place last of three. In fact the only way we could have been more last is to actually be excused. There are no disqualifications in Ridgebacks in Canada so it will have to be based on behaviour and after today's performance that may well occur!

Despite my adimittance that I had not done a lot of practice with Archer I actually *had* done a bit and he behaved very well.

Outside the ring.

In the ring it was like I had a different dog. Did I expect anything other than a brainless puppy? Well no, I've been showing too long to be fooled by the little angel outside the ring. Added to which the other two boys in the class (who are only 5 days older than Archer) are huge and look much more mature than my little pipsqueak. Wee Archer looks, for all the world, like I've stunted his growth! He was fidgety, bouncing, happy, naughty and not listening. End of the line for us! Ah well, he's got ages yet to grow up. He did his down and back very nicely though ... it was the standing still that had us stumped.
Leeloo. Ahem. Well, Leeloser actually. I don't really want to talk about her. By now she knows better than to dance and twitch while being asked to stack. As always her down and back and side gait were flawless but judges aren't only looking at movement ... sometimes they are looking at all ... that ... white. ;-)
Tomorrow as they say, is another day at the show. All I hope at this point is that the damn rain stops! Forecast says sunny ... we'll just see about that.

No comments: