Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Magnificent Seven

Four dogs and three cats made it 5000km and they truly were magnificent.

Since the camera cord is still not working and needs to be replaced you'll just have to make do with my word pictures and your imagination.

The house was pretty much as remembered. Small, cute, in need of paint, elbow grease, TLC and a big damn fence. We set up the expens in the back yard off the deck for the dogs to roam around while we unloaded the trailer.

The dogs have been very good ... until the point where Archer realized he could fit between the steps of the deck stairs and I found him and Leeloo fence playing with Leeloo inside and Archer out. He did it a couple more times before I managed to adjust the pens so that even if he goes through he's still in the penned off area. Phew.

Raimi and Leeloo spotted a cat in the neighbours yard the other day. Leeloo raced off the deck to the grass and stopped at the expen fence to stare intently at the cat. Raimi took her idea one further and in his hurry to inspect the cat he leaped over the expen. I saw him go and gasped, ran out the door and called him back. I'll admit - though I was mildly panicked I was also impressed. He leaped that thing as though he didn't even realize he'd gone over it. Hasn't tried it since but then my paranoia has kicked into high gear so he hasn't had much chance.

We marked out what we think is the property line for the new fence that will go up in the next week or so. Really need a proper fence. I saw an intact black Labrador wander past on Wednesday and thought "Leeloo should be coming into heat soon" - better get that fence up. There also seems to be a high number of cats on the prowl - I assume most of them have homes but the fewer critters the dogs can see to chase the better.

The dogs have spent an inordinate amount of time on the bed because that was the only soft surface that has been available. Now that I have a couch - purchased today for a mere $200 as an interim couch til I get the money saved for the leather sectional of my dreams - they are crammed on it and here I am sitting on the floor. Mostly because the internet cord won't reach the couch and I need to buy a armchair for myself, but also because there isn't much room left on the couch.

In all the dogs and cats have been very good - Archer's house training has taken a turn for the worse and we are pretty much at square one. Can't really blame the tyke, the last two weeks of his life haven't exactly been routine oriented. Hopefully we can start proper training in earnest in the next week because I'm tired of encountering stealth pee and poop in various rooms.

Tomorrow we head to Wallace for a Sunday dinner and to allow the dogs a good stretch. I did find a nice field here to walk them but the house has sort of taken priority and I've neglected the walks of late. Poor kids. I'll have access tomorrow to an unchewed USB cable so I can get some photos off the camera and post them.

Seems like the comatose dogs have the right idea and I think I'll take a hint.

No comments: