Sunday, May 3, 2009

First Contact

Yesterday was the puppy's first foray into the great outdoors of the backyard. It was a beautiful day and I decided it would be a good way to stop them peeing on my floor.

They were hesitant to explore but once they felt the warmth of the day and got their first taste of sunlight all things clicked into place.



At first they pretty much stick together like logs on a river and each new surface or object is inspected as a unit. Safety in numbers and all that.

I let Raimi and Leeloo out to show them the ropes and they seemed to appreciate the gesture. Kind of.




They were fascinated by Raimi who seems to be imparting some wisdom ... or whatever's in there. Leeloo is also rapt with attention ... she does love her Boy.

There's always hesitation from one surface to another. Someone has to take that first step. I like to get them exposed to a lot of surfaces before they head to new homes; tactile experience is remembered best don't you think? (Hunter there in the middle has a lump on the back of his neck - he had a reaction to the penicillin shot and it is reducing slowly. Not a dermoid abcess despite my initial panic!)


The adult dogs teach the puppies how to approach strange dogs in a non-threatening manner in the real world. Raimi grumbles at them and they approach submissively but he removes himself if he gets uncomfortable. I think ... yes ... I think I have yet to see Leeloo uncomfortable.

1 comment:

Steven and Kimberly said...

They get more cute with each passing day! I think this is my favorite stage of puppyhood. That picture of Raimi and everyone rapt with attention is priceless.