Sunday, May 24, 2009

Hang 'Em High

We are now in Riviere-du-Loup, Quebec in a lovely motel room and it is our final motel night. Tomorrow we should be in Wallace Nova Scotia and staying at my parent’s house where the dogs can run and play … they have been very good so far but their patience is wearing thin at this point. They no longer want to get back in the truck, I have to insist, and the cats have had enough of the inside of that vehicle to last a lifetime.

It’s been a hot day and we’re all tired. The problem with the camera cord has finalized into no downloading at all so the camera has a zillion inaccessible photos on it. I’ll get them downloaded as soon as I can.

Today was the first incident of the trip involving a dog. I knew there had to be at least one. To get fresh air into the truck I open the windows. The dogs like to stick their heads out so when I'm travelling below 60km/hr I open the window enough for the dogs to flap their ears in the wind and twitch their noses on the breeze.

The windows have child safety locks so when the windows are open for the dogs I lock them. I did that yesterday as a matter of course. This morning I opened the window while we drove out of Pembroke where we’d spent the night.

Suddenly there is a crash and Leeloo has knocked over the water dish and is panicking. I turn to look and there she is, with her head stuck in the window which has closed on her. I quickly rolled it down and she was freed. She sat for a moment looking distraught and shaking her head.

I pulled over and checked her out. She was fine but definitely very upset and shedding like crazy. Poor little girl.

Overnight the cats must have clicked the child lock off and I didn’t notice in the morning. Now I’m paranoid about it. Only one more day and we will be safely home and hopefully all in one piece … assuming no one else tries to hang themselves.

1 comment:

Steven and Kimberly said...

Oh, yes, that would definitely make me paranoid as well. You should be there by now, so welcome home!