Wednesday, January 7, 2009

That Thing You Do

Leeloo does a thing which is so adorable I get warm fuzzies just thinking about it. She gets all comfy-fied where ever she wants to nap; better her head is on me so I reap the full benefit of her habit. She generally drapes herself across my lap but sometimes resorts to a Ridgeball if there isn’t enough stretching room. After she gets settled and cozy she jams her pokey little nose in a good nap spot. Then … then she squiggles it. You know the squiggle. Their head wiggles gently side to side and presses down a bit and possibly stretches a touch for the perfect … most perfect spot to rest their weary head.

That squiggle is like an adorable shot to my heart everytime.

But it gets better because squiggles come with sounds. Sometimes sighing. The satisfied sigh of the truly content. Sometimes groaning. Groaning occassionally alters pitch into a whine so I check to see if there’s a leg squashed or twisted but usually it’s just the groan of the ‘irritated to still be awake’. Moaning is generally reserved for the last dredges of the barely awake letting out the ghosts of plays not played. The head squiggle marks the last moment of consciousness before blessed puppy sleep.

Sleep is also better had if the head is covered so it’s pushed into the crook of my arm, between me and Raimi, behind my back, under a cat … as long as the nose is partially buried. Better the whole body so I try to keep her covered with a blanket when she’s napping which sends her into the deepest of deep sleeps. If a blanket is not handy she at least needs her nose buried and body preferably squished in a too-small space.

This has caused some issues with Raimi and me. Raimi likes to be touching me while he sleeps. Leeloo likes to be squashed into oddly squishy spaces. This means the space between Raimi and I. We had a couch war where Raimi was on one side of me and she on the other. Not good enough. She hopped off the couch and jumped on Raimi to lie on him with her head on me which he grumbled about. I pulled her over to the other side where there was lots of room. Off again to go around and jump onto Raimi. LOOK. Sleep over HERE. She calculated a second and jumped off again. Repeat. I finally convinced her that she could sleep across me and stick her head in a small gap between me and Raimi.

Then the cat came along and was sleeping on my knees. Thank gawd for remote controls because there was no getting up after that production.

It really is my most favorite thing to sit on my couch watching TV, utterly covered in warm bodies of happy dogs and cats. Scoff if you will but they don’t care how much TV I watch, they want me to eat MORE chips and salsa and they would never have me anywhere else. I love spending time with them and I look forward to seeing them everyday almost as much as they do me.

2 comments:

Mrs. Deaver said...

Boo does that nose nuzzle too... it's sooo very cute. :)

Kathryn said...

Rory does his version of a nose nuzzle as well. Just that, well, it ain't a graceful cute thing at all. He jams his ENTIRE head in: armpits, behind my back, between my knees, in the crook between my neck and shoulder (I like to think he's givin' me hugs) whatever. He's pretty convinced he's actually Yorkie-sized.