Thursday, January 15, 2009

Take the Lead

I’ve heard some pretty insane stories in the past about puppies doing stupid things and getting themselves seriously hurt or killed. Like the puppy who ran into a wall with food in its mouth, inhaled a piece of kibble and died of pneumonia from the infection the kibble caused. How random is THAT?

So when my puppy does something stupid and it simply results in a lesson learned I take it to heart.

I have several dog leads which make their way from the house to the truck on a regular basis. Normally there is at least one lead in the truck at all times and they are kept a compartment where the dogs are for ease of leashing them. The dogs have access to the compartment so the leads sometimes end up under their feet.

Last night I got home from the park and the dogs jumped out and ran to the gate to be let into the yard. I was opening the gate when I noticed that Leeloo had Raimi’s blue lead and was chewing on it. “You naughty girl” I said as I grabbed the metal clip that was hanging out of her mouth and pulled. And pulled, and pulled, “Leeloo!” and pulled and pulled. Five feet of lead came out of that dog’s stomach.

Slimey, disgusting, gross and thankfully … out. She looked at me in surprise after the last of it hit the snow and then ran to the front door and bounced around “Open open open open.” She was hungry since I was an hour late home and it was WAY past her dinner time. So I guess the lesson here is nothing is to be kept in the back of the truck, and Leeloo, when not fed on time, will fill her stomach with anything. Oh, also … dogs do really stupid things when you least expect it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG Tamzin! I am so glad she left the end sticking out of her mouth for you! It is amazing what these guys will eat, Shumba loves charcoal (from our smoker), go figure.

The Boss Bitch said...

Actually charcoal is a good tummy ache fixer. Also good for bad breath. Lots of dogs will eat charcoal given the chance ... you can even buy charcoal dog bisquits! Although ... black kisses are probably kind gross!