Thursday, January 15, 2009

Pressure Point

The snow falls again. The weather can’t seem to make up its mind; this past weekend it felt like spring was on the way even though it’s only the beginning of January. Now we are back to our regularly anticipated -12 degrees and snow is falling. I’ll never again own a vehicle that doesn’t have 4x4. We have chinooks roll through every few weeks but they are not all they’re cracked to be. Chinooks cause extremes in air pressure and the result is headaches and migraines for those people sensitive to the barometric changes. Sometimes the temperature can go from -20 to +2 overnight … it can play merry havoc with your brain case. Plus the sloshing, slushing mess on the roads is no fun at all.

We went to the park Monday and I thought it was warm enough for Leeloo to go coatless but by the time we got there it was pretty frigid and we didn’t stay long. Yesterday was a return to coat and she was delighted. Today is pretty cold and a park visit is still up in the air.

Now that the snow looks to be sticking around taking the dogs to the park is far safer. 1) Ambient light reflects off the snow and makes the park brighter than it really is 2) the dark dogs are easy to see against the light snow 3) and there are far fewer dogs out because of the temperature, light and conditions.

Supposedly the days are getting longer but personally I don’t see it. It’s dark when get up, it’s dark when I leave for work, it’s dark when I get home, it’s dark at the park, it’s dark when I go to bed. The only saving grace in this is the south facing bay window I have in my office, if I didn’t have that I’d be a mushroom.

Tonight Rory comes to stay for a few days … should be a riot!

No comments: