Wednesday, January 12, 2011

On a Clear Day You Can See Forever

After disclosing my negligence in caring for the darling Leeloo toes and subsequent emergency surgery, I thought I'd take us all back to a happier time when I was a responsible dog owner. My dedication to their mental well-being clearly outstrips their physical since I routinely drag myself out into various types of wilderness to offer my canine companions a smorgasbord of smells, experiences and landscapes. 



They never tire of gazing into the horizon, noses a-twitch and bright eyes sharp for any movement which might disclose the location of a squirrel, cat, squirrel, deer, raccoon, porcupine, squirrel, bird ... you get the idea.


Even the odd snowmobile in the distance is no match for this far reaching gaze. Leeloo was entranced by the tiny machine making a ridiculous racket along the road and disturbing the quiet snowfall. In these cases I often repeat the mantra "Looking only Leeloo" since bolting toward said movement is usually next on her agenda.


Esme never spots anything to chase except a Ridgeback. This is strictly because she is not a sight driven dog, she is a herding dog who's only goal in life is to round everyone up and bark. Ad nauseum.


The Boy knows the top of this sand dune offers a good view across the fields and he often heads up there to get a good handle on the lay of the land. And to check for squirrels. He blends very nicely with the drift wood and that I suppose, is the point when you're hunting squirrels. I never tire of watching them watch the world; I don't think I ever will and they, in their turn, will never tire of looking toward forever.   

No comments: