Thursday, January 13, 2011

About a Boy

It's my opinion that Boy is very handsome. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this once or twice. I know he's a bit too much dog for most people; he's got this great clunky head that weighs about 20 pounds (which is surprising because it seems to be stuffed with fluff), he's over sized and imperfect. He's not exactly the Ridgeback Ideal. I, however, adore him. I just love him because he's Boy. I don't love him because he loves me or for any reason except that something about him speaks to something within me. 

Not that he doesn't occasionally get on my very last nerve. He spends a ridiculous amount of time circling on the bed to get 'comfy', is forever underfoot, is picky about his food, and can sometimes suffer seperation anxiety intense enough to damage my property. Despite these minor failings what I love is that he looks for me in almost every moment that doesn't involve thought of squirrels (because squirrel thoughts are big and crowd everything else out) or a bitch in heat (because hormones are over-whelming and I forgive him this masculine failing).  He can't open a stubborn jam jar or help me carry in bags of dog food, but standing behind this ever watchful presence of muscle, sinew and love gives me a sense of security you just can't beat.

No comments: