Sunday, March 28, 2010

You Can't Win 'Em All

Back from another weekend of dog shows. I'm not sure I'll enter this show again if it's held in the same venue since we just about froze to death. I left the dogs in the truck where it was warm and only brought them out to acclimatize to the show about 40 minutes before we were due in the ring. Usually I have an expen and they hang out all day inside. I don't think they would have ever forgiven me if I made them freeze along with me and my parents.

To my very great surprise on Saturday Archer took Winners Dogs for his very first point! I definitely did not expect to win mostly because he is about a year from being mature and competitive and he sat on the exam. The judge was very patient and allowed him to relax a bit before touching him, let me show his teeth and was extremely kind to a rank novice baby Archer. And then he gave us the point! I was most pleased with Archer and told him "You have a point!" to which he replied "A point? Can I eat it?" Archer is an utter delight to show, he is happy, cheerful and full of zest for life, such a pleasure to handle. He lacks confidence in the stack and exam but that will come with time, I would rather ease him in than force total compliance and make him unhappy.

Leeloo lost on Saturday to Pearl but since Leeloo thinks dog shows are stupid she didn't care. I forgot, when I entered this show, that this judge gave Leeloo 3rd of three in Canning so I presumed we'd fare no better here! Pearl then went on to beat Archer for Best of Winners -she has been hunting these many months for the 2 point major win that is required to get a Championship in Canada. Archer has tons of time to get his Championship and I'm in no screaming hurry. Pearl's owner just wants her finished so she can spay her and do other, more fun, events! It's so nice to go to a show and have everyone root for everyone. I want to win but I don't want to see other people get discouraged so when the points get divided over a weekend amongst everyone it makes showing more of a pleasure.

Today, which is Sunday, my dogs were reversed where Leeloo got the bitch point and Archer got shown the exit. Leeloo's feet are her downfall it seems as the judge took a moment in the class to check the standard for white. I can recall at least five times Leeloo's feet have given the judge pause! I don't think lions or gazelles are checking a Ridgebacks foot color during a hunt but apparently it's a Big Deal to some judges. I love them so much I almost want to chalk them at shows to make them stand out more ... twisted I know.

Our next show is in 3 weeks in Trenton which is just about 15 minutes from my house. Best support the local shows otherwise long drives on cold mornings will become the norm!

No comments: