Saturday, March 27, 2010

Circle of Friends

Over in Alberta things are looking promising for Karma, Can. Ch. Invictus One Magic Christmas, and her potential litter. She is displaying all the signs of a mom-to-be ... clingy, sleepy, and growing boobies to rival Momma Halo's. She is only about 3 weeks along at this point so there is no absolute to her pregnancy but it's fun to speculate.

Through this event I have obviously been communicating quite closely with her owner, Adine. A breeder should be a source of support and advice at all times to their puppy buyers, regardless of whether or not they are showing and breeding or just enjoying the lifelong companionship of a well bred dog. Naturally a carefully planned litter is a source of more constant and in-depth communication and Adine and I communicate several times a day about various subjects, including, but not limited to teenage girls, writing styles, schooling as an adult, significant others, hot young men, parents, motel quality and of course the dogs.

We have agreed, of late, that we are extremely lucky to be able to openly discuss and disagree about various things without it affecting the underlying relationship, and friendship, we have developed over the past couple years. I know that although Adine will listen to my advice, it is up to her to make decisions that best satisfy her circumstance. She knows that the advice I give is based on years of experience and is well intentioned. While I am not always right, or agreed with, I am not going to abandon her just because she has a different point of view.



I think this comes about because we each have a direct mode of communication. We like to make our thoughts clear and as such we tend to communicate more like men than women. If you are familiar with Mars and Venus, it means that we can run into some problems communicating with our own sex. Women expect each other to be subtle but thankfully, Adine and I are both blunt and direct and know this about each other. As you can imagine it has gotten each of us into trouble in the past!

I won't go so far as to say we have not had our disagreements and misunderstandings because we have, but through clarity, discussion and honesty we have managed to secure a friendship that I hope surpasses the dog connection and goes a little deeper into a personal relationship that can stand the test of time. Lord knows I have lost friends and made enemies with my lack of diplomacy but I like to think that the people who don't abandon a friend because of ill-timed words are in it for the long haul. I may not wrap all my words up in a pretty bow but at least I'm honest!

No comments: