Monday, March 22, 2010

Point Break

We have had a break through! Yesterday Esme peed in the house only one time and that was just before bed. I let the dogs out and then back in and but while I was washing my face she peed in the kitchen. Dammit, one minute's inattention and she takes advantage. However, moments later she started fussing at the back door so I let her out again and she went and pooped right away! Yay!

This morning I let them all out and as usual she headed straight to the back of the yard to pee and then I let them stretch their legs and play a bit while I prepare their breakfast(actually, they just stand at the door looking stricken because they can hear their food calling to them. Leeloo makes the funniest desperate sound when the first kibbles hit the dish). This allows Esme plenty of time to poop as well but she doesn't always since there are so many interesting diversions in the backyard.

I let them all in, they eat and then play for a little while except Leeloo who takes herself off to the bedroom for her morning nap. I have them shut in the livingroom so I scan keep a close eye on Esme. After about 20 minutes she asked to go out the French door, I opened it and she ran to the back door, so I opened that and she ran down to the yard and had a big poop! She is now at least asking to poop outside - I gather that pooping has a bit more of a warning and she is better able to control it. We seem to have made a significant break through in the past couple days. Now is not the time for complacency though, I must remain vigilant!

Another plus is that Archer seems to be pretty sound at this point. He has not shown any lameness for a few days and I hope that continues. I will certainly be taking him to the show this weekend and see how he goes. I don't expect him to win but we'll do our best anyway. We'll practice this week with some stacking because that is where he tends to get all wiggly!

Leeloo also needs a bit of practise because she is Miss Fussy Feet. She knows that once I place a foot I can't actually stop her from moving it while I'm setting her other feet. It's the power struggle dance with her shifting every foot very slightly after I've put it where I want it. She is letting me know that while she will stand there and do what I want, it's on her terms. And that's a bitch for you.

No comments: