Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day

Ah Valentine's Day. The day that single people are made to feel most guilty for being single. Every other day of the year we are looked upon with sympathy but for Valentine's Day we are reserved a special table at Chez Pity. I'm not sure why it's such a crime to be single, I think it might be because so many people define their own happiness through someone else's opinion of them; as in 'If you love me then I must be okay'. As I often say, I may be alone but I am not lonely.

This morning, despite my best intentions to stay up, I returned to bed to have a little love-in with the dogs. They become confused if I wake up and stay up since they think that after being fed they should just return to sleep. So after they all returned to the bed I crawled in and snuggled with them for a little while, gave The Boy some special hugs, let Leeloo squish her head between my ribcage and The Boy, and bore with great patience Archer's constant shifting and shuffling.

All day today I will be the recipient of adoring gazes, spontaneous kisses and special hugs. I will take a long walk on a beautiful day and be a part of something truly wondrous. I'll experience exuberant joy when I return from work and receive genuine appreciation for the dinner I prepare. We'll watch a movie and snuggle for the evening, share some popcorn and feel no pressure to be more than we are. We never go to bed angry and tonight will be no different, as with every night we sort ourselves out and slip into contented slumber knowing that all the tomorrow's that stretch ahead will be happy, just as our yesterdays.

I don't know how anyone could deny that I, on this day to celebrate love, have it in spades.

No comments: