Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Blood Diamond

I haven't posted photos of the dogs lately - mostly because they haven't been doing much that is interesting except whine. I tried to get a video of the whining but it didn't work out. Today we went for a run, everyone together, and enjoyed a mostmarvelous time. At one point Raimi and Archer ran past leaving blood in the snow. Sigh. Fabulous.

So I halt The Boy's mad dashing and look at his hind foot. There is a bit of the pad sliced off, no idea what caused it, and it's not bleeding much, just a sad ooze. The snow is soft and powdery and there is no ice to cut them anymore so I have no idea what caused the damage. So Boy hops around lame for a moment, spots something interesting and leaps away sound as a dollar.

They spastic around a bit more and I see more blood. Well, crap - I assume Raimi's foot is bleeding more now, nope, same as before, just a slight ooze but nothing serious. I look at Archer and as he bounds away into the trees he leaves drops of blood. Sigh. Fabulous.

So I halt his mad dashing and take a look. Well, blood blood blood. Obviously a significant slice right under the toenail of his front foot. Since we are about 2km from the truck I tell him to not bleed to death and away we go.

Archer acts as though one inch slices on his pad are everyday matters and Raimi comes up lame everytime he catches me looking at him. Such a Boy. Archer leaps into the truck and it seems like the bleeding has stopped. Phew.

I run to the post office and then to the hardware store and when I get back into the truck after the hardware store I look back at the dogs and see ...massacre. Oh. My. doG. If I ever get arrested for murder and they spray that luminescent stuff in my truck it will light up like a Christmas tree. Crap.

Off to home. They pounce around in the yard a moment and then come racing in. Archer, in the span of about 14 seconds, manages to smear blood from one end of the house to the other. Fortunately he stayed on the hardwood and lino and not the carpet. I grab him, toss him into a crate and prepare the medical equipment.

The toe has a raggedy cut on it about a quarter inch deep and an inch long. Not stitch worthy but it can't be left alone. I clean it up, put some liquid bandage on it and cover it with a super stick band-aid. Fingers crossed it stays on long enough to knit the skin and prevent bleeding.

Really, if it's not one goddam thing it's another goddam thing.