Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Everything Is Illuminated

Currently in my livingroom there are three Ridgebacks asleep on various pieces of furniture(one is on my chair since I'm not in it) and there is a Puli puppy asleep in her crate. Esme came home today and after some time exploring and inspecting, she started to whine a bit which I took as the need for a bit of a nap. I was right. She seemed unable to settle on her own somewhere so I popped her in her crate and voila ... she is fast asleep. The Ridgebacks and I headed out, once again, to Malagash to toboggan and pick up Esme. I'll post the toboggan photos tomorrow but for today we have a new family member to welcome. The Ridgeback have been less than thrilled to have an addition in the family but I'm sure that's the same with all new 'kids'.
Raimi is the least 'freaked out' - he is taking it in stride and as long as his adoring gazes continue to be answered by my loving touch he is fine with whatever happens in life. Leeloo seems to be completely baffled why Esme is here. She is a pretty easy going dog and reasonably tolerant of new things. Sometimes I have to insist on my way or the highway but she rarely challenges my decisions. She will accept Esme as long as she's sure she's staying.
Archer is, predictably, terrified. He stayed on the bed where he was (pretty sure) she couldn't get to him. He won't let her within a foot of his body and he only sniffs her when he is sure she is facing the other way(sometimes it's hard to tell with a Puli). I will not tolerate ridiculous panic behaviour when they are not in actual danger so my fuse will grow shorter and shorter the longer he keeps up the Big Panic Show. Praise when she is allowed near and not forcing the relationship will see things work out but for now peering at each other through the bars on the bed will have to do. The cats initially were all WTF? but have now settled into WGASA(who gives a shit anyway) - typical cats.
I'm sure she will fit right in and the dogs will eventually grow accustomed to the idea there is another dog living here that is not a Ridgeback. Only Raimi has ever lived a life that included another breed of dog and I think this will be an exciting time in the lives of my pack of hounds.
I

No comments: