Thursday, January 10, 2008

New Digs

Progress is now pretty significant, even from yesterday, walking looks more like a case of beer instead of a case of beer, a 2-6 of vodka and 4 shots of tequila. Their teeth are also coming in which will make getting Halo to feed them more of a chore - her skin is already getting red from the little nippers. Eyes are almost wide open and they definitely choose direction now based on sight and smell rather than just smell. This gets them in more trouble … not less.

The cutest thing is when they realize food is coming, lots of barking, whining and a seething mass of puppy bodies stumbling around looking for me or Momma. They still do the puppy turn – anyone who’s ever had puppies know what the puppy turn is; because they can’t go backwards they turn in circles to try and find what they’re looking for. They go round and round until they either get lost or find the puppy pile, mom, me, etc.

To some of the puppies I am an alternate source of food so the second they ‘see’ my feet they start trying to nurse on my slippers. I seem to be very popular. I was feeding a puppy and Halo was sniffing the bottle and looking at me like “Whatcha got there? Food?” Seriously, if she could take food right out of their mouths I’m sure she would. I certainly know she’d steal their mash in a second if I gave her the chance as demonstrated with the last litter. No qualms about pushing them out of the way and eating as fast as she could before I caught her. This Friday is The Big Day for introducing solid food - which is good because they aren't that good at sharing. If these guys are the sharks I think they are there will be no trouble accepting a change in diet, especially when they realize they can eat as much as they want without competition; as demonstrated by two puppies trying to nurse from the same nipple.

I love those fat little bellies let me tell you.











We have upgraded already to the ex-pen. There was a significant lack of space in the whelping box especially for nursing so I put them in here now. This will also make it easier to paper train.

No comments: