Friday, January 4, 2008

And Winners Never Quit

So here we are still with an even 12. Phew. When I got home she was asleep in the warming box on her side and very still but breathing. When Halo bumped the warming box in her excitement to see me the puppy got jostled and realized it was time to get up and boy did she let me know it! She was stumbling around that warming box and yelling up a storm!

I heated up her bottle, put some liver juice in it and she ate so fast I thought she got a tummy ache. She was making these little groany moany noises and squirming a little. Then I realized she was pooping. All systems go. And then she promptly fell asleep again.

I checked her hoo hoo and there was a little pus but much less and she was peeing normal pee so I'll keep cleaning her and check again in the morning. I put her back with her siblings and she squirmed her way in to the middle of the pile like a normal healthy puppy would.

Halo was starting to develop a minor case of mastitis too - of all the things. You'd think with all the nursing going on it would be the last concern we'd have. However I think she prefers to lay on her left side so the nipple in the very middle is the one she lies on most and would get nursed least - that one was a getting a little hard to the touch and when I expressed it - yes, milking a dog dammit, no laughing - some came out a little thicker than usual. So I massaged it and put a puppy on it and today it is much better. She is producing such a large qualitity of milk that if they don't get emptied it backs up - or comes out and leaks all over her dog bed or the couch. Ask me how I know that ...

More pics tomorrow ... today was a big enough day without uploading ...

No comments: