Saturday, January 5, 2008

A Big Day for Everyone

Lots of visitors today ... the babies were busy being cute as buttons. I'm never so popular as when I have puppies. Of course this is hard to resist ... eyes are statring to open and from this day forward they start to get exponentially cuter. They are also trying to walk which is galactically cute - they stay in the little drunken sailor stage for a few weeks before they get a handle on their feet, hat usually happens at about age 4 or so.



Raimi and Petal went to the park today but not before we ran some errands. I went into Walmart to pick up a few grocieries and then stopped at Safeway. I came back to the van after 10 minutes to find Raimi had investigated the Walmart bags and found himself some Kraft Dinner. So now my van is full of little macaroni pastas and there's powdered cheese ground into the upholstery. I told Raimi what a bad boy he was but it's hard to mean it as he had an orange nose and lips. The paper cheese packet is no where to be found and I suspect he is carrying it around - or will for a few days anyway.


He had a good run at the park with Ryder and then we met Lucy and Zuri who are also Ridgebacks and they RAN and RAN and RAN. Ryder tried to make sweet love to Lucy but she wasn't having any of it. So now Raimi is laid out on the couch using Petal as a pillow and recovering from having his ass handed to him by a couple of girls.


Speaking of pillows I guess puppies are useful to Halo in some way. One must improvise when you are forced to sleep in a whelping box that cannot hold a candle to a couch. She might look a little guilty for using orange boy as a headrest but I can assure you she's really okay with it. Orange boy did not seem to much care as he was too busy stuffing himself at the milk bar.





And this is what happens when you're the mother of 12 and you need some sleep. Or you're on drugs ... or hung over. It seems to me that Halo is suffering from some pretty serious exhaustion from this litter. Certainly I did not expect 12 and likely nor did she. She is sleeping a lot and not a regular sleep - more like the sleep of the dead. She's so classy ...






I'm not so furtunate as to know the sleep of the dead - I set my alarm every 4 hours to make sure she gets up in the middle of the night to feed babies. If I don't we'd both sleep til the puppies start crying and I'm the only one who would do something about it. If I wait longer than four hours the puppies get desperate and feeding is a total gong show. A mass of seething puppy bodies all struggling for the same nipple. Less fun than it sounds.

1 comment:

Steven and Kimberly said...

What good looking pups! My husband, myself, and our ridgeback, Max, found your website and the link to your blog and wanted to tell you what a fantastic job it appears you're doing. Especially after giving the green boy puppy CPR shortly after his birth. I wouldn't even know where to start!