Monday, July 19, 2010

Jaws

The point of a swimming hole is to swim. The hole drops sharply off about 8 or 10 feet in and the dogs would only walk into about their elbows, once they started to get buoyant they would back off. At the beginning I got Raimi and Archer swimming briefly but I had to hold their collars and they would panic a bit as their bodies sank into the water. It really is an amazingly effective way to cool them down and considering the 30 degree heat(in the shade) it was a blessing. Esme ended up swimming on her own for a bit but then stayed mostly in the shallows where she felt more secure.

However, getting them in to swim is a chore. If they dunk themselves by accident though, that is totally not my fault. Archer had crossed the shallow part up creek under the bridge and then waded toward me without realizing that there was an almost immediate drop off, he swam toward me and I pushed him toward shore. I was so proud of him for not panicking. Raimi, as you might be able to tell, stuck to the very narrow ledge along the bridge support and made it to 'safety' without actually swimming.

I'm sure Leeloo will never speak to me again after this little event. She came in close enough for me to get hold of her collar. Archer and Esme watch - I'm pretty sure they were trying not to giggle. I was standing on a rock ledge that ended in a drop off about a foot behind me.  


Leeloo found out about the drop off when she was buoyant enough for me to guide her over it and start swimming. I held onto her collar and put my hand under her tummy so she'd feel more secure(I'm sure she didn't) and told her it was okay and she was a good girl. When I let go she swam like a pro for about 2 feet and hit the bottom running. She stuck to the shallows from then on and was deeply suspicious of me calling her the rest of the time. Can't blame her! Doesn't Archer look like he's laughing? Poor Leeloo.


Raimi always came in close enough to check out my floating head.


But if I reached for him it was brakes on! I did get him swimming here, although there was no photo, but he is so much stronger than Leeloo or Archer I couldn't keep him in the deep water for very long.


I love this photo. Raimi was always so concerned for my safety. Not concerned enough to actually swim but concerned enough to get wet to the elbows. At least I know if I'm drowning in 2 feet of water The Boy has my back.

No comments: