Friday, July 16, 2010

Gone with the Wind

The problem, as I see it, is that the dogs are now air-scenting more than they are sighting. This poses two problems for me. One, I don't know what they are smelling and two I can't smell it so can't anticipate it. If they see something chances are good I can see it too, usually before they do because I am on the look out  for things that will send them on a hunt. With this new found epiphany of theirs to air scent their 'prey' I have to keep a very watchful eye on them *and* the horizon to forestall any bolting.

Although it's hard to tell, in this photo Raimi is scenting the wind. His ears are flapping back and he is thinking about the smell before moving toward it. I use the word 'thinking' quite loosely here.


Archer is less inclined to air scent since he is young and most things that interest him are right in front of his nose. He has been caught with on occasion snatching smells on the breeze as has Esme although she is even less inclined to do so.


Leeloo is becoming quite the culprit at this air scenting thing. I have had to start watching her very carefully and have come to the conclusion that if she is standing like this with her nose twitching not only is there a 100% chance there is something of interest upwind, there is also a 100% chance she will bolt toward it unless I intervene.


Raimi is less reliable about the bolting, he tends to just stand and absorb. However, he is not above alerting Leeloo to the scent and if she goes, he goes. Well, they all go but usually Leeloo is the instigator of movement. She is the original shit disturber that one. I have to admit though, when I see them doing this and I know we are in a safe zone (no where near roads or houses) I marvel every time at what I perceive as a magical ability.

No comments: