Thursday, June 3, 2010

Men at Work

Since beginning a full time job I have had to change the dog's schedule to walk them in the morning. This means that I must get up earlier than I would normally and walk them, then get ready for work and then shut the dogs away for the day in their expens. This means that they have been confused by the last four days activity in the morning. I know they will get used to the routine ... probably more easily than I will!

The problem is that when I get home they have forgotten that they already *had* a walk today and are all raring to go for another. A more dedicated dog owner might entertain their desire but frankly, after being off work for so long and now thrown into on the job training (learning about the American health care insurance system which, I will admit, is just about the most complicated and criminal insurance arrangement I have encountered) is just about all my brain can take. Going for a walk when I get home is really low on the priority pyramid.

So while the dogs fuss about going for a walk they are all stamping quite heavily on my patience. I know thing will improve and I know this exhaustion is merely a result of the early hours and increased use of my brain for things other than researching dogs and talking to dog people. It doesn't stop me from being irritated by the wrestling, yowling and general mad-hattery that occurs for the first hour after I get home. I supress the annoyance as best I can because it's really not their fault, they just need to learn the new 'system'. Of the four only Raimi and Leeloo have ever known me working full time, so Archer and Esme are more than a bit bewildered!

What I wanted from a job was not only the money required to live and be able to afford my dog activities, but also an established routine for me and the dogs. I am *so* looking forward to Saturday because it's not longer 'just another day' ... it's a day off! Can't wait to spend it with the dogs! I didn't realize how much I'd miss their company during the day.

No comments: