Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Only Child

So I've had a night's sleep on the decision to place Halo and I'm still sticking to my guns that this would be the best thing for us both. Sometimes you think of something and after a time you realize you probably shouldn't do what you were thinking you wanted to do. You now, like when you write an angry email you should let it sit a few hours or overnight before hitting 'send'. Chances are time will temper your emotions and you will edit. After a night's sleep (and many new home offers) I have not changed my mind.
Halo has an appointment today at the vet to see about that lump on her leg above the elbow. I need to find out what it is and what to do with it. It doesn't bother her but it is getting bigger very slowly - it hasn't developed an eye or mouth yet so early times - but since I've put the word to the Universe about finding her a new home I should get it inspected.
People are in turns surprised and then, after some thought, not surprised that Halo is looking for a new home. It is best described in saying that Halo is over shadowed by the three forces of nature here who elbow her out of the way. She never pushes to the front and I think that's because she thinks she shouldn't. I believe a one dog home is right for Halo so that she becomes the spotlight, however; if a home comes up that has the right chemistry and there is already a dog in residence - I'll entertain that too.
Right now I am in discussion with what sounds like a great home. We meet next week with Halo to see what first impressions are - well, I already know Halo's first impression ... Boing boing boing! HELLOOOOOO! I'm Halo and you love me right? Everyone loves me! See how I can kiss your cheek and you don't even have to bend down? Oops! Did I smash your glasses into your eye socket? So sorry about that! Let me take a closer look! Boing boing boing! Aren't I special? I can jump up but I don't put my feet on you so you can't get MAD! Aren't I clever? Do you know any kids? I love kids! Is that kid? Look! It's perfect licking height! Kids taste so good! (and so on ad nauseum)

But then - in a one dog home ... who on earth would she beat up? Although I think the trade off is worth it.

1 comment:

Steven and Kimberly said...

I think you made the right choice, Tamzin. Halo would be happier living out her years in a one dog home. You do owe her so much, but she owes you so much, too. It has been fun keeping up on the relationship that the two of you have. You'll find the perfect home.