Friday, September 18, 2009

Road Warrior

A couple days ago I was walking the dogs and it started to rain so since we were walking along a road in the woods I tried to keep under the canopy of the trees. Of course it started to rain harder so I stopped a moment where it was particularly thick over head and lo and behold I found an old mountain bike trail.
The trees immediately thinned and a distinct path was evident though the trunks. I decided to follow the path since the rain wasn't so bad in the forest and the dogs were having a wondeful time. I imagine a forest to a dog smells like an amusement park to a person; so many different smells competing for your attention and everyone of them appealing.
Archer always used the log bridge to go back and forth across this ditch whereas the other dogs would only walk through the ditch. Noting of course that if there was water in the ditch they'd all use the bridge!
On the walk back to the truck Halo always hangs back hoping I'll forget about her so she can sneak back into the trees.
However, when it's raining she sticks pretty darn close so she doesn't get left behind. I think we can all agree on what sort of emotion she is expressing here.
And you could also stick a fork in Leeloo because she was done. The rain was coming down harder as we walked back and the dogs were tired, hungry, wet, and cold - if they were children they'd be whining up a storm. That evening we all snuggled together under the down comforter and watched TV ... a satisfied pack if I ever saw one.

No comments: