Friday, March 13, 2009

Gremlins

Ever lose something and wonder where it went? Maybe it fell into the Sock Vortex of Doom or slipped through a crack in the space time continuum. We’ve all had it happen and eventually you forget you were looking for it. Then one day you’re minding your own business and suddenly your 6 month old puppy leaps off the couch, urka-gurka’s a couple times and out pops that cat toy you’ve been looking for or the missing “L” from your laptop keyboard.

Leeloo is my own personal gremlin. When Halo was a puppy (my gawd was she ever a puppy?) she would chew on things but rarely consume them. I can recall a Christmas Eve where she was left in the car briefly with some gifts which she promptly opened and I initially thought she’d actually eaten a necklace but no … she just had fun making a mess. Leeloo doesn’t stop at the fun of destruction, she has to hide the evidence.

The sock incident of about a week ago had me wandering room to room to make sure there was nothing else she’d get her teeth on and consequently swallow. She definitely tries hard to find things to eat and it keeps me on my toes. I was not fast enough to rescue a fuzzy sock from having the toe chewed off, the foam bedding in the hallway has a chunk out of it and a large tuft of thread from an old blanket almost met Leeloo’s partially digested dinner. That was just today.

I could count on Halo and Raimi to put teeth marks into my possessions which usually rendered the item useless(like the camera) but Leeloo is like a garbage disposal. I bet come spring thaw I’ll find treasures encased in a piles of frozen shit buried in the snow of the backyard and exclaim “So THAT’S where that went!”

No comments: