Sunday, November 2, 2008

Blown Away

It's been a few days since the incident at the park and I thought I'd come up with something lighter. I can't think of anything.

So far in the past few days we've been dealing with Halo and her problem ears, more Raimi hassling at the dog park by bullies, a depressing weekend of a dog show, and a time change which makes no sense but means that I'll now be walking dogs in the pitch black every night.

Halo and her ears. Well, Tanja had her for several months and Halo got fed a myriad of various food stuffs from egg whites to cupcakes with no ear problems. Now she's here and the problems have begun again. I think it's the dog treats I buy so I'll eliminate them and see what else is out there. She's been shaking her head and has now split her ear. Blood spatter again. More tape, band-aids and sulking. She leaves Nov 15 and it's 13 days too far away. We have this love/hate relationship ...

I am so sick and tired of my dogs getting hassled at the park. I'm sick of it. So sick in fact I'm thinking of walking them outside of the city. It would be more in gas and time but I have had it with other people's dog coming up to Raimi, sticking their face in his, posturing and without warning roaring at him. What is Raimi doing? He's on his tip toes in reaction to their non-sensical posturing, his head and eyes are turned away from them and STILL he gets roared at. What does Halo do? If I haven't grabbed her collar in time she wades into the fray in his defense. Usually I'm right behind her. I hate being the banshee at the park. My dogs are friendly, stable and well trained. (Case in point - Halo was put in a down/stay for roaring at a dog who'd told off Raimi a few minutes earlier(per usual it was unprovoked). I left her in a down/stay and walked away ... like 400 feet away and there she was in a down/stay til I made a 400 foot recall) Usually I can see an incident way ahead of the other dog's owner and it makes my dogs look bad to have me calling them away knowing they are not the problem.

They say a bad day at a dog show is better than a good day at work. Well ... yes and no. Not when the puppy you are looking at is not developing as you'd hoped and you are considering alternatives. Rory is a wonderful boy - so sweet, such a great credit to his owner but perhaps not the show dog we had anticipated. We are going to give him some time to mature, see what happens and if he doesn't pan out as a show dog he will excel at adoring Kathryn and hassling Seth. I love this boy's temperament, he reminds me so much of Raimi it's ridiculous and whether he is a champion or not at the end of the day he's Kathryn's own Boy.

It feels better to vent - really it does. There is one more thing I want to vent about and it's something that won't make any sense except to the person it's directed at: I'd rather have white feet in my kennel than line breed eye problems. I don't care if she reads the blog ... I feel better now.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Yark, yark, yark!!! LOL. "Alter"natives. Rory wants to know what's so funny?!!! You're right, even if he loses at a dog show I still get to take him home and be adored by him. Not a hard job. It would be some consolation though if I could even remotely imagine him doing agility or obedience work, then we could still go to the shows. But somehow, well, you know Rory. Sit, Stay-For-4.5-Seconds, and "my gosh, how did I end up with five legs?!"