Thursday, November 20, 2008

Bring It On

The temperature here is hovering around -5 Celcius which is a bit too chilly for Leeloo and long walks - even being out for a few minutes had Leeloo shivering. I decided that since we couldn't go outside we'd head indoors for socializing.

Those large chain pet supply chains are a blessing because they are huge, have lots of good smells, people freely approach your dogs, are relatively safe, and your dog can meet and greet to their heart's content. A few unobservant people asked if Raimi and Leeloo were the same breed, I got the typical "Is he, uh, large for a Ridgeback?" and everyone always fawns over the puppy. A few treats bought and we were on our way home.

They have established a pretty relaxed relationship now and are very tolerant of each other - well, it's mostly Raimi's tolerance. Leeloo has figured out that Raimi can't reach her if she stands under him and so when they play she is between his front legs grabbing his neck a lot.

This is his annoyed but tolerant face. This was Night One and he was not sure he wanted this ... thing ... lying on him. He seems to have realized she is as much, if not more, fun than Halo because Leeloo will play any time you goad her. Halo won't.





Leeloo blends in with my decor very well indeed. She matches my cabinets almost perfectly - if she stood very still in the kitchen(unlikely) I practically wouldn't see her.


This is her looking adorable. See those big round browns? Her duct taped ear was replaced with purple hockey tape (I ran out of duct), I think it's very pretty. Her cock-eyed ear, which is only cock-eyed sometimes, is being trained to behave itself, much like Herself.




More bone chewing. This particular bone is pressed rawhide, a clear winner in the toy department. Halo can get through almost an entire pressed bone in about 2 hours which is why she is only ever given them supervised. Leelo's teeth and jaw are not strong enough to remove large strips so she mostly sucks on it. It has been interchanged between dogs ad nauseum and the bark bark bark of frustration when Raimi has it and Leeloo doesn't is usually during my favorite shows.

This seems to be a particularly favorite mode of sleep for Ridgebacks. Like fallen dominoes. Puppies amaze me with their ability to fall asleep in almost any position. They are so elastic that they look like they should be incredibly uncomfortable and yet they are comatose. Even Raimi all squished up doesn't look like he would be that cosy but he'll sleep like that for hours.
Tomorrow, assuming my computer is powered again, I will regale the epic battle for the rawhide bone. It was something to behold, and hear, for about 2 hours last night. You can only turn the volume on the TV up so far.

1 comment:

Mrs. Deaver said...

Hehe She is so cute with those little white feet! I wish I had pet stores to take Boo to, but the city I live in has none, and the closest is about 15 miles away. I have to make due with Home Depot instead. Which I had better do this weekend. ;) We're also going to lure coursing practice this weekend, so that will be good socialization too!