Friday, November 7, 2008

Balance of Power

Mallaig is one of my cats - the most cheerful cat alive, the motor engine purr, a little pink smile, reaching for you with a tap as you walk by - super cute things that make you smile. And she's also a little weird.
Last night she did something unexpected. I was brushing my teeth and was, as usual, being supervised by Mallaig. I guess in her opinion I didn't need light to brush my teeth so she reached up and turned off the bathroom light fader. But that's not the unexpected bit.

After I turned the light back on she looked at the top of the bathroom door for a moment, gauged the distance from the vanity and jumped. I was prepared for disaster which never came. There she was perched on top of the door ... on the towel I was trying to keep cat hair free.



She wandered back and forth a few times. I think she was trying to decide where the door led to besides ... nowhere. There was some thought about attempting to walk along the door casing but fortunately that was met with a change of heart.

There was a point at which she did that distance gauging head bob leap thought which had a 99.9% chance of failure. You can see she is looking at the shower curtain tension bar. The reason the towel is over the back of the door and not the towel bar is because the bar's tension is not reliable. Fortunately she decided to pass.




Weasley has lofty ambitions but he's young yet. He was sitting on the vanity and looking up at Mallaig while she practised her Cirque du Soleil routine. That's her reflected in the mirror that faces the door. She is giving him ideas which do not bode well for future vases, plants and curtains.


There were some pretty impressive acrobatics and she must have spent a good 10 minutes show boating. Clearly she was pretty proud of herself.


Her dismount was very athletic, graceful and loud. THUMP! onto the tile. Now that she knows how to get up and down I suspect I'll have to find somewhere else to keep my towel.

2 comments:

Steven and Kimberly said...

you could take your kitties on the road in order to pay for the fuel it takes to get to your dog shows...: )

Mrs. Deaver said...

Wow, that is very impressive!