Monday, November 24, 2008

Wimbledon

Over the weekend I had an epiphany about where to safely walk the dogs without fear of rabbits, roads, other dogs or anything else equally unpleasant.

Tennis court.

Fully enclosed, gated, level, large, open, and close by. Legal ... we'll just plead ignorance TFN.

I was walking them on Friday and for the second time a suicidal rabbit shot past and wouldn't you know it, straight into the school yard where I was planning on letting Raimi having a bit of a run. Thank gawd Halo wasn't with us or I'd have been faceplanted in the pavement after Leeloo tangled my legs and Raimi and Halo hit the end of the lead. It seems too that Raimi hasn't forgotten that a rabbit was there doing evil rabbity deeds so I had to think of another place that would serve our purpose.

I'm not sure why I didn't think of it before - no one uses the courts in the winter, too dark, not cleared and frankly I'm not even sure people use them much in the summer. They are a bare two blocks from my house and are right next to a garbage can so clean up is a breeze.
So for the first time we went to a tennis court to run and play. I took a toy for Leeloo to chase which Raimi promptly stole, squashing Leeloo in the process. Raimi ran back and forth kicking up the snow and half melted ice and Leeloo chased blowsy leaves across the court. I played with them for about 15 minutes until they waned toward boredom and then we headed for home.

Until something happens to stop the tennis court runs we'll be heading there - safe, secure, and probably against some sort of bylaw, but at least I'll know there is no chance I'll lose a dog to a rabbit dash.

No comments: