Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Get Smart

Leeloo is one smart cookie. I haven't really given her due credit since she's a puppy and puppies don't know anything. There is always a disconnect between what you want them to know and what they actually know and you can only hope to eventually meet somewhere in the middle.

When she arrived she already knew the word 'no' - something she obviously committed to memory since she responds to that word best of any command. A handy little thing I didn't have to teach her.

She is pretty well house broken except when I'm not paying attention. Last night she trotted up and down the hallway a couple times before I caught on and popped her out - it was a huge step in the right direction.

She is learning to stack for showing and caught onto that very quickly: stand still = get a treat.

She now waits for her food knowing it comes faster if you are not bouncing around impatiently.

She is pretty well lead trained except we've never walked without Raimi. Treats will come in handy when that needs to happen. If she balks I don't drag her - she seems to find that an insulting indignity - but if I stop, loosen the lead and allow her the choice she always walks forward without hesitation.

And for the last few walks she's done something that I initially dismissed as unlikely. Today I was proven wrong ... and right. We always take the same route to and from our walk around the neighbourhood. On our way back she has been turning up the path to the house two doors down and when I hit the end of the lead(because I keep walking knowing it's not our house) she digs her heels in. This one. I have to convince her it's not our house. Then we got to the house right next door to mine. Stop. This one. More encouragement. Then our house and she stops. Today she proved my initial impression correct. THIS ONE! And she pulled the lead out of my hand and ran all the way to the front step with glee. It was freakin' cute. She is teaching herself which is our house. Impressive.

I tell you - it's quite a change from Boy. Boy who I will always love for his adoring eyes and steady presence ... but Leeloo ... scary smart.

No comments: