Thursday, October 30, 2008

Casualties of War

Yesterday Kathryn and I were at the park and saw what I hope to never seen again. Below is an email I composed to the head of the Park Committee. She and her group are working hard to ensure the park remains off leash with the hope that everyone can just get along. I sent her this warning so that she may get the word out and hopefully at best this never happens again and at worst the owner of the dog is shamed into never coming back.

Hi Candice,

I having been using River Park almost everyday for 3 1/2 years and in that time I've seen a couple minor incidents, been involved in a couple minor scuffles, and generally had a very good experience most times I go. I have never before seen what I saw yesterday evening.

I was at the park with my Ridgebacks - my adult bitch, a 100 pound male and a friend with her male Ridgeback puppy(who I bred). None of these dogs are altered since I show and breed them so I'm kind of a hypocrit when it comes to other dogs in the park who are un-neutered but I consider myself a responsible dog owner and breeder to the best of my ability. Usually the dogs I have trouble with are neutered males; Mastiff types, Sibes, Shepherd crosses ... I try to keep to myself to avoid issues.

We encountered a pit bull type dog, male & neutered, who was playing with several other dogs at about the half way point where the big garbage bin is. My adult male said hello to the PB and his owner tapped her dog and said something to him and he promplty ignored my boy. My dogs and I continued on our way.

We passed a Doberman who I have encountered in the past. He is an entire, male, uncropped Doberman, probably about 4 years old, owned by a tall, large man who I actually haven't seen at the park in a couple years. I had rather hoped he was gone for good since he yelled obsenities at me once for inquiring about his having bred that dog before one year old, not shown, no health tests(but that is another story).

Anyway, We were about 100 feet along from the pitbull when a dog fight broke out. Actually, I believe it was more of an unprovoked attack. The Doberman, having encountered the PB, attacked without warning. Several witnesses, upwards of 15 I would say, saw the attack and were dumb-struck. The Dobe's owner was yelling at his dog to "Let go!" which the dog ignored and the Pitbull was unable to get away. The Dobe's owner grabbed the back feet of the Pitbull and hauled him up and told someone else to grab his Dobe's back feet. I would say it took upwards of a minute for the Dobe to let go of the other dog's head and neck.

Once the dogs were released the Dobe's owner shoo-ed his dog away from the crowd and the Pitbull and without a backward glance, walked away. He allowed his Dobe to remain off lead and continued toward the north end of the park. No one stopped him. I yelled for someone to stop him but no one did.

The Pitbull's owner looked her dog over and I assume the damage was negligible because he continued to play with other dogs. I really hope he is okay and that the wounds, should he have any, were not very serious. Regardless the owner SHOULD have stopped that Dobe from leaving in and gotten his information. Someone said it was lucky the Pitbull didn't have ears because he woud have lost one or it would have been seriously damaged. Having not seen the start of the fight I can only assume that witnesses were correct and the Pitbull was not the instigator - either that or the PB warned off the Dobe and the Dobe took offense.

I will tell you right now if that Doberman had attacked one of my Ridgebacks not only would there have been a three dog fight with the Dobe getting the shit kicked out of it from my bitch(who is VERY protective of her son) - I would have been in there with fists and feet and that Dobe would be hospitalized or dead. No one attacks my dogs. The person I was walking with has seen my reaction to my dogs getting harrassed and I take no prisoners.

I am completely disgusted with the owner of the Doberman and if I encounter him again I will call my dogs in and tell him to keep his dog the hell away from me and my dogs or I am going to use force. I am writing this as a warning to anyone else at the park with large male dogs - watch for an uncropped, un-neutered Doberman being walked by a very tall, large irresponsible man who has no regard for the safety of anyone else's dogs. I would label that dog as dangerous under the City by-laws and had it been my dog attacked I would be pressing charges.

And I mean it. I would follow that guy home if I had to and make sure his dog and he are made accountable for their behaviour. There is no excuse for walking away from a fight your dog was involved in. Even if your dog was not the instigator you do not just walk away. Take responsibility for your dogs! If they are harrassing another dog STOP THEM. Put them on lead. Discipline them. You do NOT know the other dog's thresh-hold and if you allow your dog to continually bully another dog a line may get crossed and you will end up with a dog fight. After seeing that fight yesterday ... don't take chances.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I see you're down from rolling boil to a nice simmer now. Good on you for writing that letter! It's a scary situation no matter where you stand, literally. Here's to hoping Mr. Dobie Owner stays home for a long while. And I feel sorry for his dog.