Friday, April 10, 2009

Year of the Dog

On April 10 last year there was a dump of snow at least 8 inches deep, I had Zero still from Halo's second litter because we were waiting for his last vaccination before sending him to Utah, and Raimi had recently become a my first home bred Canadian Champion.












It is also the day I helped Petal make her final journey.
















It's been a year and I realize there have been new friends made in these past few months that never knew Petal and don't know the relationship she and I had. I could say she was my shadow, she was my heart dog, she was the most special little friend I have ever had. But that seems too simple and too common for how Petal and I related. She is gone, but always close in my thoughts, and I think that defines the love that was reciprocated beyond reckoning.


Those days after she died I set pen to paper and wrote my goodbyes. Saying goodbye to her at the vet was hard, saying goodbye to her with my heart was more difficult than I could have imagined.

For Petal, for the little black shadow who will always be stitched to my side, see you at The Bridge.

No comments: