Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Two Weeks Notice

It's hard to believe two weeks has gone by already. Already eyes are almost completely open and their walking skills are slowly improving.


They are also big enough now that Halo can feed them while sitting up. She's been trying to do this for a few days now but until today there had only been four accessible boobies.




I realized today that I never explained the whelping box set up. Last litter I used the 4' x 4' foam puzzle peices with paper on top but Halo ripped one apart trying to make it more 'comfortable'. So this time I put the puzzle peices down in the box and then put a tarp over them since it's easy to clean and durable. I tucked the tarp underneath the sides of the box to hold it down. Voila. It's simple, comfortable, easy to assemble, easy to take apart and the puzzle peices and tarp can be used for other things.




Why don't I buy a $300 - $400 fancy schmancy whelping box that is all plastic, easy to clean and has all the latest in gates and access and whatnot? Because this works just fine and I think, total, it cost me about $30 to build. My parents have a wood whelping box, I kid you not, that is at least 35 years old. They brought it to Canada from England in 1973.

I'm not taking the whelping box when I move, I'll just make another but better one ... so it may cost me $50. As long as the puppies are safe, secure and clean that's all you really need.

1 comment:

Steven and Kimberly said...

I love it when you can figure out something that will work just as good as something store-bought for much less! Great idea! Yeah, and what's up with the RRs "making their beds" as my husband refers to it? (when they move around in circles while adjusting the stuffing in their beds) :o)