Thursday, April 16, 2009

Crash Test Mommy

It occurred to me at 6am when the puppies were yelling and Halo hopped off the bed to go investigate, whether she actually *likes* the puppies. It's instinct which calls her to them but I have never gotten the impression she actually likes them until they are a) not nursing b) no longer under her realm of responsibility c) big enough to play with her d) fewer in number. As Since my foundation bitch she is so far the only Ridgeback I've whelped out and it makes me wonder how another bitch would do. Whether she'd be a loving mother instead of a imprisoned one. Look no further than Leeloo.


She needs to learn to be more gentle and I don't allow her to 'play' with them unsupervised. She pays particular interest in their mouths and faces, must be that daaaaaaaah-ling puppy's breath.






She isn't very vocal with them which surprises me since she is vocal about everything else.
She knows to lie down and let them come crawling to her and she does very little paw waving and mostly pushes them around with her nose.






Mr Blue was carefully checking for cavities ... or they were practising their lion tamer routine. He's a brave puppy to stick his head in there.

It got a little more personal after a moment though and i had to remind Leeloo to be careful. Leeloo kisses are nice ... most of the time.






Surprisingly she even knows when it's quitting time and to let them go to sleep. Unfortunately she still likes to sit *on* things and I had to rescue a puppy from under her bum - they are not big enough to sit on yet, Leeloo.






Based on this experience I think two things are evident. One: Leeloo will remember this puppy experience when it's her turn and that is a blessing for a maiden mother. And two: chances are high that Leeloo will make an excellent mother.

1 comment:

Steven and Kimberly said...

I agree with you about Leeloo. I had tears in my eyes from laughing at the thought of her big bum trying to get cozy on a puppy! Can't wait until she's a mommy someday! It's so great that she's getting used to the puppies now.